Yeah! What she says!

Yeah! What she says!

Monday, April 16, 2007

Tragedy At Virginia Tech

I have been following the story of the shooting and Virginia Tech all day. It is a sad story that makes me sick to my stomach. I feel so very bad for the families of all the students who have lost their lives or are wounded. Could you imagine, sending your kids to college, or having a sister, brother, mother, or father, aunt, cousin, uncle, attending that school right now? Can you imagine the worry and the fear?

Right now there is a speculation that the shooter was aiming for his girlfriend, but no one really knows yet. I have a feeling it will be a long time before we have any idea of what may have really been the reason behind the shooting at Virginia Tech, if we ever know.

Despite all this tragedy, I had to mention something else. This is something that may sound really petty to bring up at a time like this. I am going to do it anyway. Please forgive me. Something caught me eye while reading CNN.com today in an attempt to stay abreast of what was happening while being trapped at work. Here is a quote from an article on CNN.com.

Laura Spaventa, student: "I was in Shanks Hall, which is located in the upper portion of campus, and we were having class, and all of a sudden we had e-mail saying that, like, there was a shooting on campus and then we were updated with it saying that, like, classes were being canceled and to stay where we were. ... Right after we got that e-mail we heard five shots on campus, and we could hear the emergency speaker system. So we all got down under the desks and moved away from the windows.

There must have been at least over 20 or 30 cop cars and ambulances. Like, every street was lined with them. I did not see like openings at all, like, it was really scary. All the cops had, like, vests on, and some had guns in their hands and everything. I felt like I was in a war zone, or in the middle of like the city, or something. It was just very, very unsettling."


Can this poor girl say like any more frequently? Does she realize how unintelligent that makes her sound? Now, this isn't the only thing I have read today on this horrible event in Virginia, but when I read this it stopped me in my tracks.

I told you it was petty. I just couldn’t believe it. I was sitting at work reading the article, and for a moment I seriously thought I was reading the script of the movie Clueless. It was a very funny movie, but that was because people aren't really supposed to talk like that!

I feel rotten now because I let "Other People's Children" distract me from the very real and horrible issue so many families are facing today. A reality, that as a mother, I hope I never have to experience first hand.

Sorry guys and gals.

On a more serious note, how long do you think it will take them to attack gun owners with more laws? That of course will solve everything after all. We all know that criminals and lunatics obey all the gun laws! (That was dripping with sarcasm in case you couldn't tell.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos! Many, Many Kudos! I like, don't like think I like would've understood like anything she like said if like she didn't like say like every 3 words... And, as a father I'm horrified! My son starts kindergarten in September. Is this the school setting I'll be sending him to? Unbelievably Terrifiying!

Ron Simpson said...

Sorry to disagree with you here (respectfully so, of course).
One of the first things I learned in public speaking competitions is that whenever anybody is nervous, they have a tendancy to use filler words while gathering their thoughts. Words like: umm, like, you know, etc. Everybody does it. In my speaking classes, they taught us to not do that.
I have been speaking in public since I was 17. I had competitions (4th at state) in high school and college. I was a membe of several student organizations that required me to speak in front of large groups. In the Army, I did briefings for a Brigadier General (one star) and I still do training for my company occasionally in front of large groups. I still have to consciously think about not using filler words and make distracting body movements.
That being said. This girl probably just went through the worst experience of her life, even if she was not directly involved at the site of the murders. Those college students have never had to deal with anything like that. Then to have to talk about it in front of a tv camera. I would have refused. She showed courage by speaking. I can forgive a little scatterbrained speech paterns just this once.

Mrs Xoke said...

You know, Ron, you make some amazing points that I hadn't thought of. I still think that she maybe may have said it a bit much even for the trauma factor, but that is an extraordinarily hard thing to judge especially when I haven't been through that experience. Maybe because of that I shouldn't judge it at all? Probably.

It still stopped me in my tracks. I hadn't quite seen anything like it outside of a Hollywood movie. I have also seen plenty of news coverage of those having survived various traumas, and had never heard the same word used so much even when the person was shaking.

That doesn't even begin to refute the points you made however, and after hearing them, I wouldn’t dream of doing so. Every person reacts differently after all. You are very right, and I am glad you enlightened me. Thank you!

Ron Simpson said...

I have heard people use those kinds of filler words when they shouldnt. I laugh at them. I have no problem with that. I just think this one time we can give the people pass. just this once. tomorrow is a new day, then we can give them grief.