Yeah! What she says!

Yeah! What she says!

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sanctuary Cities (UPDATED)

I ran across a blog today that brought to my attention a few comments by the mayor of San Francisco, California. Many of you may know that I was born and raised in Northern California. I now call Nevada home, and politicians like the mayor of San Francisco are one of the reasons I made that decision.

I would love to post the content of the blog here, but there is speech present that I usually don't care to have present on my blog. Instead I will point you that way, with a content warning. What the blog says is very important and needs to be addressed. Click here to view.

I wrote an email, but I kept it very simple. I focused on the basest fact. My email is below. I will let you know if I hear anything.


Mr. Newsom,

Recently you were quoted as having said.

"Mayor Gavin Newsom vowed Sunday to maintain San Francisco as a sanctuary for immigrants and do everything he can to discourage federal authorities from conducting immigration raids."

"I will not allow any of my department heads or anyone associated with this city to cooperate in any way shape or form with these raids," Newsom declared. "We are a sanctuary city, make no mistake about it."

Immigrants don't need protection or sanctuary, as they are immigrants that entered the country legally. Those that I feel you are referring to, are instead, illegal immigrants, and they are entering the country illegally. By offering them sanctuary you are aiding and abetting criminals. That is a punishable crime.

You may want to give your comments and rash decision a bit more thought.

Sincerely,
Sunni


**UPDATE**

My initial response from Mayor Gavin Newsom. Not a big surprise. Will keep you updated.

"Thanks for your message. I appreciate hearing from you. I apologize for
the automated reply, but unfortunately the volume of messages I receive
does not permit me to provide each sender an immediate, individual
response.

Please know that your message will be read and considered, and, where
appropriate, forwarded to a member of my staff or a city department. You
will be hearing from one of us, if your message requires a reply, within a
reasonable time.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Mayor Gavin Newsom"


**UPDATE**

I finally got a response from Mayor Gavin. Here it is:

May 14, 2006




Dear Sir or Madam,


Thank you for contacting my office recently with your thoughts and
ideas
regarding San Francisco's status as a Sanctuary City. We always
appreciate
hearing from pro-active people like yourself.

Since the time of the Gold Rush, immigrants have come to San Francisco
from
every country in the world, opening businesses, creating jobs, paying
taxes, taking leadership in government, and rebuilding San Francisco
after
the 1906 and 1989 earthquakes. Today 1 in 3 San Franciscans were born
overseas and are a vital part of our economy and culture

In my first Executive Directive of 2007, I reaffirmed the City and
County
of San Francisco's commitment to its Sanctuary City status,
originally
established in 1989. As a Sanctuary City, San Francisco has and will
continue to provide compassionate services to all immigrants,
regardless of
status. I want to make it clear that no city resources will be used in
immigration detention or arrest proceedings unless required by federal
law.
When certain people are targeted and denied access to vital social
services, the health and safety of the entire city is compromised. .

Federal immigration raids are hindering the well-being of San
Francisco.
Countless crimes have gone unreported over concerns that by contacting
local police, good citizens could put their family and livelihood at
risk.
This risk also encourages parents from sending their children to school
or
seeking medical treatment when in desperate need of care. We can not,
under good conscience, endorse any policy that would be
counter-productive
to affluence of working families.

San Francisco joins with over 20 other cities, including Detroit, New
York,
Boston, and Chicago, by continuing its traditional role as a Sanctuary
City. I strongly oppose any effort to require public safety officials,
teachers, doctors, and any other City employee to report the
immigration
status of anyone seeking help.

Thank you again for contacting me. I hope together that we can create
common-sense immigration policy that will benefit everyone.



Sincerely


Gavin Newsom
Mayor


OK. First of all Mr Gavin, there is nothing wrong with immigration as long as it is done legally. None of us have any issues with immigrants. If someone does, their problem is far greater than yours.

Secondly, instead of offering sancutuary to those that are illegal, maybe resources should be put into play to offer them the tools they need to be legal. If they are not elligable to become legal, or not making an attempt to become so, than they should be deported. By doing so, they would not need to keep their children out of school for risk of being found out, or be concerned with getting their children proper medical attention and thus being found out.

I can understand that people are coming here for greater oppurtunity and better services, but there are those of us who are here legally and paying taxes for the same services who are constantly dealing with rising costs, and longer Emergency ROom waits, that we are having to pay because we went to the trouble of getting a social security number and becoming legal citizens. Illegal immigrants that are using our nation's social services and are not or can not pay, and do not have a social security number are then not held responsible for those costs. Those costs are passed to those of us, agian, who have made the effort to be here legally.

If I were a resident of San Francisco, and thank GOd I am not, I would be furious at you for catering to a group that is hindering the lives of the group living here legally, and even more furious with the fact that cater to a group that con not even vote. After all, if they can't vote, who should you really be concerned with?

Now, I know that he isn't going to read my blog, but I am not sending this to him. I have a feeling that my words would fall on deaf ears. Very, Very, sad...

3 comments:

Malinda777 said...

I didn't realize you were from Nevada... Yep, this is pretty much like the response I posted on my blog from Harry Reid.

Scary stuff going on in these sanctuary cities. Like the story I ran about Roosevelt High School.

I don't know what's going to have to happen before folks realize that sanctuary can easily turn into take over!

Been catching up here...great stories. Congrats on submitting Wed. Hero, and they picked it :)

Amazing Gracie said...

I'm still in CA. I've sent e-mail to Boxer and must confess her response was better than Feinstine! It was nonsense but not automated...
Sunni, it's getting scarier by the day. Sites like yours give me hope and scare me at the same time!
I'm going to add your site to my blog. I follow you all over the place and don't know why I haven't added you sooner.
~~~Blessings~~~

Malinda777 said...

I've already commented here, about my dumb a** responses I get from Harry Reid's offices. I also posted a story about the wonderful response I got from John Ensign's office on the same issue...

Well...amazing update! I wrote to both of them on another issue, "The Nevada Right to Repair Act", which I hugely support. I didn't realize that state issues DON'T get voted on by our state Higher Ups, like Reid and Ensign that now reside in Washington in the Congress...the STATE senators and STATE legislature take care of those matters. I always thought when they went to Washington, they still voted on the local stuff too... DUH...guess I have stuff to learn.

But...my point is...CAN YOU BELIEVE that Senator Ensign's office had one of his ladies actually CALL MY OFFICE and let me know that? I wasn't in the office when they called, so I got left a message that Senator Ensign's office called. I called back and left a message, and she called AGAIN to speak with me.

Heck...I thought I was gonna get my butt chewed for putting his response on my blog or something from the other time. But NO...the nicest lady in the world called to inform me that Ensign & Reid don't handle this particular bill, and that I should forward my letter of concern to State Senator Hardy for consideration. She even offered me the phone number and address.

I WAS SHOCKED...I'm liking this Ensign fellow more and more...