Yeah! What she says!

Yeah! What she says!

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Guns

This is going to be short and to the point. Earlier this week I wrote about the horrific happenings at Virginia Tech. At the end of that post I openly wondered how long it would take people to bring up gun control laws. As I am sure all of you noticed it didn't take long at all.

My thoughts are this. Banning guns will not solve the problem. That only prevents those of us who would obey the laws from having them. Sickos like Cho Seung-Hui would have gotten a hold of one anyway. He wouldn't have cared about the laws prohibiting it. It may have taken him a TAD BIT longer, but it doesn't seem as if he wasn't planning all this over a long period of time, so I doubt the wait would have bothered him much.

Secondly, guns don't kill people. The don't. The people holding them do. To prove this, I conducted an experiment many moons ago. I left my gun in the drawer next to bed and it was fully loaded. Guess what! It did not kill anyone! It didn't even go off once! The following weekend at target practice it hit everything I aimed it at when I pulled the trigger. My conclusion? You do the math.

7 comments:

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

Not only do guns kill people, but so do knives, rocks, scissors, ropes, cars, dogs, lead pipes, bulldozers, spiked heels, we should hide, it's too scarey out there.
Seriously, you are correct, and I have said the same thing too many times, but it does need repeating as some are very slow at understanding. Hope you are having a wonderful Friday and a great weekend.

Mrs Xoke said...

You know, spike heels are just evil and they should be out-lawed. Long before guns are.

On another note, I have used a pine cone as a weapon before. Shhh...don't tell anyone. It was a very effective one though. Ask my best buddy Jimmy. Jimmy?

Anonymous said...

Yes! Pine Cones Must Be Banned! In accordance with the Union Valley Convention... Any person or persons in possession of or within arms reach of a pine cone will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Only licensed, trained forest personnel are permitted to own or operate a pine cone.

And, guns shouldn't be banned. It would only make innocent citizens vulnerable and defenseless against an increasingly violent and deadly society.

E and J said...

Rat poison should be outlawed - it's a weapon of mouse destruction...

Sorry :P

Interesting story I found earlier today here.

Short version - A town were every household is legally required to have a gun has very little crime! Less then the year before they brought this law in - 1981!

Ron Simpson said...

I think gun control is hitting what I aim at. I am very very good at it. I never understood the reasoning behind high heels, except they make a woman's butt look good.
Gun control laws make it difficult for a law abiding citizen to get a gun, not a criminal. But libs are ok with that, as it makes you more dependant on the government. Think about it.

E and J said...

I should point out for many years the UK has been gunless. Since then we've not had a single problem.

Yes those are all different links, to the BBC, on stories in the last week containing the word 'shot' in the UK only!

The Gamin said...

Great experiment. They say that for an experiment to truly be valid it must be repeatable. So, in the interest of science I will attempt to redo your experiment under controlled conditions. I will, also, get my gun toting friends, cousins, and brothers to do the same. We'll see what happens here. Wish us luck.