Yeah! What she says!

Yeah! What she says!

Saturday, April 7, 2007

The Power of Good Neighbors

I want to orate on the power of good neighbors. This seems to be lost in today's age. That is sad. So everyone, listen up.

Good neighbors are hard to come by. They are necessary none the less. Especially in this day, and age when both parents work full time, and grandparents are still doing the same. I AM A GOOD NEIGHBOR!!!!

I have an amazing set of parents who live two doors down. They have a child who is my son's age, but they had him late in life. They have other kids, that are almost my age. They aren't well off, by any means. Not, to say, they don't work hard. They work harder than most I know. Life just doesn't come easy for them. That happens to some of us. It just does.

They work long, strange hours. There are times when their youngest might be home alone. Early on, we established a rule with their son. If it is dark, and mom and dad aren't home, come here. Here is safe and warm and provides dinner. It wasn't even an option for me, and I never had to second guess myself. He is a child, and his parents are working long hours to provide. I was home. There was no other option. After all, I would hope the same for me son. Right? Nice, safe, warm place to go. Wouldn't we all want that for our children?

The point of this blog is, you do for others as you would want done for you and yours. Recognize what you can do, and do it without second thought. Especially where children are concerned. They don't pick their circumstances. They don't. As adults we sometimes feel helpless. Imagine how the kids feel.

Some parents that aren't be there all the time, and aren't there because they truly can't be. When that happens, they need good neighbors. Sometimes other family isn't there either, for various reasons. Those reasons don't matter. The child does. The child is the future of America. This may sound crass, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the state of America, and the the mind set of current politicians might just boil down to the fact that we couldn't be good neighbors when we needed too.

It is late, and I am very tired, so sorry for what may have sounded like a rant. Just be there for the kids. Realize that some parents aren't "neglectful" because they want to be. It is sad, but some seem that way because they have to be. Those that are neglectful by choice, have kids that need you ever more. That is another rant, on a different day...

I am going to fix the world, one child at a time. I promise.

It isn't too much too ask, is it?

While reading this, please give me a little credit for being a little out of my mind as I am very tired. In my heart, I know this is the right path to take. I am posting this now, and not going to revise it tomorrow when sanity is more prevalent.

Good night.

2 comments:

Ron Simpson said...

there is nothing wrong or bad about this rant, never apologize for something like this. You are a good person. There should be no apoligozing for that. Gene Bach, over on the "turning the pages of life" link on my blog is another good one. Go check him out.

Anonymous said...

"It wasn't even an option for me, and I never had to second guess myself. He is a child"
... if only more people felt that way!

"the state of America, and the the mind set of current politicians might just boil down to the fact that we couldn't be good neighbours when we needed too"
I think you might be right, 'good will' helps build good communities... If communities demonstrated more of a commitment to making children feel safe and valued, then it would go a long way to making the future a good place