Yeah! What she says!

Yeah! What she says!

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day To My Father

This was the hardest post for me to write, which struck me as odd, considering that anyone who knows me, knows that I never stop bragging about him. My father is an amazing man. A man who served his country in Vietnam and came home to father two daughters. Two daughters that he loves unconditionally.

My father was stern when he needed to be and loving at all times. He was my spider killer and my great defender generally. He has always been there for me, and I know in my heart he will always be there for me.

He taught me to fish, and to shoot. He took us camping and taught us to play baseball in the street. He taught me to ride my bike, and that was no small challenge as I am about as uncoordinated as they come. He killed countless spiders and various other bugs that scared the bejeezus out of me, and taught me many important lessons regarding life. Some of those would be:

"If you don't come home from work tired, you weren't working"
"Half-ass don't cut it"
"In the real world, you are guilty by association"
"If you kill it you have to eat it"
"Be nice to your sister, because one day you will realize that family is all that you got. That and she will get bigger and beat the snot out of you"
"You get what you give"
"Nothing in life comes easy, and if it does, it ain't worth having"
"Keep your guard up"
"No matter how big the man, if you kick him in the knee he is going down"
"Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself, because some days there isn't anyone else around to do it for you."
"If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger"
"Never start the fight, but be prepared to finish it"
"Home is where your heart is, and now-a-days that is a phone call away"
"You can do anything you set your mind to and don't let anyone tell you different"
"If you fall of the horse get right back on it"
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it ain't broke"
"Nothing in life can't be fixed with duct tape and bailing wire, or as your mother would say, a band-aid and a hug"
"You don't need to be dating yet, and trust me I know. I was one of those boys once"
"Stick to your guns, but don't be afraid to say I was wrong and I am sorry."
"You live in the greatest country in the world, and if you take care of it, it will take care of you"
"Always fight for what you love"
"Always fight the good fight"
"What goes around comes around, and sometimes you are lucky enough to see it happen."

There are a ton more if I sat here long enough. I have always looked up to my dad. He was my super hero. He still is. If it is broken, dad can fix it. Even when it is your heart. He does it is his own gruff manner, but he fixes it.

He is a man long on love, and short on patience, but one of the most giving you will ever meet. He was a provider of many things in my life, and one of the greatest men in the world. He knew that his girls could be anything and everything they ever wanted, simply because they were his. He had more faith in me than I did, and he pushed me, and still does at times, to remember that, and not to give up. He never accepted less than our best, which sometimes felt unfair, but something I am glad he did.

They don't make them like my daddy anymore, and to be honest, maybe they never did because he has seemed one of a kind to me.

I love you dad, happy father's day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very commendable father. Your entire blog reads as though you've learned and you practice many of his lessons. You're obviously proud and rightfully so.

Sarge Charlie said...

nice daughter........

Ron Simpson said...

That is a great tribute to your Dad. I always say a Dad is more important than a Father. Any jerk can be a father. It takes a special guy to be there every day and be a dad. I am lucky that my step dad "stepped up" and filled in for my father, who could not be there for me the way he wanted. So my dad is much like yours.