Yeah! What she says!

Yeah! What she says!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Making Maple Syrup

Making maple syrup is not something I would usually write about, but an article I saw today piqued my interest. The article talked about extending the sapping season with the use of a new gadget. You can read the article listed above for more information about the gadget and what it does. It was interesting, but made me realize how little I know about where and how maple syrup is made. It is something that is common place in our household, and a commodity that I think my entire family has taken for granted. We cook with it a lot by putting it in a pot of beans or adding it to a ham in the oven, we put in on pancakes and waffles, and my son will not eat sausage without maple syrup.

Many of us already knew that it was made from the sap of a maple tree, but how does it get from the tree to the plastic bottle on the kitchen table? Well, I found some great videos about the making of maple syrup that I thought I would share with you. The first couple are a family operation, the O'Biens, and they really make this look like a big party. The videos are still amateur, but they are well made. I enjoyed them.

Part 1:


Part 2:


The next video is of a different operation, with a little different method, but same basic principle.



And another operation:

Part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:


Part 4:


Part 5:


Now you know, and so do I. :)

No comments: