Yeah! What she says!

Yeah! What she says!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ask Captain Dramatic

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Captain Dramatic has been fighting a pretty nasty head cold for about two weeks. We had thought he was finally on the home stretch when he started to develop a cough. I was not too concerned. He is healthy and strong, so I figured it would run its course, but that it would mean he felt crummy for a few more days, maybe a week at most. It was still something that I wanted to keep an eye on.

It was taking him a bit longer to fall asleep at night, but once he was asleep, he stayed asleep. I still wanted to help him feel better and treat some of the symptoms though. That is virtually impossible to do when he won't take medicine. I usually let him decide on medicine unless it is something vital, like antibiotics or the sort. "If you have a headache, take some Tylenol, or deal with it, but stop whining" is usually a what is heard in my house. Minor aches and pains are usually the only ailment as well.

Back to the topic. A cough is hard to keep an eye on when the child is not with you. He is at his biological father's house for the weekend. I decided to call him today to see how he was feeling, and try and figure out if I was going to have to start making plans to take him to a doctor on Monday. If he wasn't getting any worse, we might watch it a few more days, but I was hoping that he was finally getting better.

Me: "Hey buddy. How are you feeling?"
CD: "Good"
Me: "How's the cough?"
CD: "Much better! Dad taught me how to cough up and spit out the phlegm!"
Me: (Following a brief silence to gather the best way to respond) "Good! I am glad you are feeling better! See you Sunday!"

Well, I guess I just didn't know that coughing up phlegm and spitting it out had to be taught. I bet that just like when he learned to "pee in the woods", I will have to teach him when not to do it though. Heh. Just when you think, that they think, they know everything...

To learn how you can submit your questions to Captain Dramatic, click here. Don't be shy!

No comments: