Yeah! What she says!

Yeah! What she says!

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Labor Day

Labor Day is Monday, September 7th this year, and is observed on the first Monday of every September. You can read about the origins of Labor Day here. (I found the origins very interesting, so I suggest the quick, short read to all of you.)

Labor day is commonly explained as a day of celebration in honor of the workers of this country. A day for them to rest and relax as a thanks for their hard work. It is recognized as the end of summer, and as the start of the season for the National Football League and college football teams. It is marked with parades, fireworks, bar-b-ques, picnics and trips to the lakes, rivers, and streams for a final frolic in the water. Labor Day weekend is often full of events of all types, and often times the most taxing thing to do on Labor Day is decide which you and your family are going to participate or partake in.

This year feels different to me. This year I spent a great deal of time worrying about if I would still have a job by Labor Day. The Economy has cost a great many people their jobs, and put the working class under a great strain. I think this Labor Day will not be able to celebrate the worker in America as it has in years past, but instead will have to settle on celebrating a time when people were able to find work in America. This year, Labor Day for me, and many others, is a day of remembrance, not celebration.

For the record, I managed to be one of the lucky few who still has work. I made it to Labor Day. Will I make it to Christmas? Hang in there America. I know I am trying to. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to spend some time brushing up on some history, and learning what actions pulled this country up by its boot straps all the other times it faced hardship and adversity.

No comments: