Yeah! What she says!

Yeah! What she says!

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Thank You Fernley Volunteer Fire Department and EMTs

Today started out bright and early with me rushing a husband and a eight year old out the door for breakfast before a den meeting. For those of you who don't know, I was suckered into being a den leader with our local cub scout pack. My son is a member of cub scouts, and they were desperate for leaders. So I took on my son's den. I say suckered, because at the time, that is how it felt. I have a different outlook on it now. This is one of the many lessons that children teach adults. They teach us, that they are worth the hard work and the effort. They prove it to me every time I am with them. All of my eight years olds are smart, fun loving, and eager. It is my job to make sure that they stay that way. It is a job that I have come to love.

Today's weather was perfect for an out door den meeting. My assistant leader had taken care of contacting the local volunteer fire department in hopes that they would allow us to use their flag pole for an out door flag ceremony. This is one of the many things that the boys have to accomplish to earn their next badge. I was afraid that because it was a volunteer firs department that they may not be able to do it, but the readily agreed to assist a cub scout pack.

At 8:30 AM a volunteer EMT named Jackie met us, and quickly gathered a few of the volunteer fire men to help us learn all that we needed to know about the flag and how to raise it. Our two firemen helpers were ex armed forces or current reservists (can't remember the branches, sorry), and knew everything all of us should know about our flag and how to treat it. They taught the boys to fold it properly, and all the nuances of how to raise it. It was really a beautiful thing to be honest. I was grateful, and I know my boys were too.

Thank you to the wonderful men and women of the Fernley Volunteer Fire department and EMT service. You protect our lives and our homes everyday, and have shown that you care very much for the children in your community by being so wiling to share your day and your knowledge. The world needs more people like you, but I am glad that we have even the few we have, in you.

1 comment:

E and J said...

One of them made a comment about what music they play when raising the flag. One of them said it was reveille and then asked the other what they did in the Navy, so the other one must have had some experience of Navy life, if nothing else.

I had fun and think the boys did too :)


E