Yeah! What she says!

Yeah! What she says!

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Just Plain Sick!

This is just plain sick!

INDIANAPOLIS -- Sixth-grader Matt Porter didn't enjoy getting "Most Likely Not To Have Children" and "Sir Clowns-a-Lot" awards from two teachers at his school.

Matt said he received the awards in front of classmates during a ceremony at the Decatur Intermediate Learning Center at the end of the recently finished school year.


What king of teachers are these? Are these the kind of people you want your children spending six hours a day with? How disgusting! I expect that behavior (almost) from other children, but grown, supposedly educated adults? Grown, supposedly COLLEGE educated adults, employed by the county, to teach our children? Thankfully not mine, but it still sickens me. How grotesque a human can you be to publicly ridicule a child? You have to be a pretty small, and empty individual to do this to a little boy.

Poor little guy. I remember being picked on mercilessly as a child by other children. That hurt bad enough. I can only imagine how he felt being picked on by two adults who are supposed to be teaching him, and guiding him, and protecting him while he is away from his parents. Here is a picture of Matt.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



His mother and his stepfather have asked the Decatur Township school system to reprimand the teachers, and they want an apology.


If I were them I would demand far more. I would start with their public humiliation, followed with a lot of "HOW DO YOU LIKE IT!", and then go after their jobs. I would not stop until I had them fired either. They have no place in education. They have proved that they are teaching all of the wrong stuff.

Unlike me, this is what the mother requested and what has been done.

Amy Sims, Matt's mother, said she met with a school official over the matter but was not satisfied with the response.

"She just told me that the teachers would call and apologize to him, and we've not heard anything at all," Amy Sims said.

Gary Pellico, spokesman for the school system, declined to say whether the teachers have been disciplined. He said system officials regret the incident.

"We don't feel like it was an appropriate awards ceremony at all," Pellico said. "It wasn't part of the school's award ceremony, and it will not happen again."

Amy Sims said her son needs counseling because of the awards. The school has offered it, but an agreement on who will provide it has not been reached, Thomas reported.


I sure as hell hope they don't want the parents to accept counseling from a member of the school's staff. They have already proven how effective their staff is at screwing children up, but not how effective they are at solving problems. I certainly would not agree to having my child counseled by a member of their staff. I wouldn't agree to having my child near to anyone on their staff after this incident.

In case any of you are as outraged as I am, and care to put in your two cents, you can find information on how to contact the school here:

Decatur Intermediate Learning Center

3 comments:

Ron Simpson said...

I would sue their asses off. In Oklahoma we can not only sue the school, but we can sue the individuals involved. They would be separate lawsuits, but I would hammer the teachers into the next year.
When I was a senior in high school I was voted by my classmates as the most likely not to succeed. I was not popular to say the least. And now, I am one of the more successful of my class. But I complained to my principle that the school should never have allowed such a vote to happen. I got nowhere. I should have gotten a lawyer.

Anonymous said...

These types of awards - both 'positive' and 'negative' - are not productive and only cause harm.

My question is, did they teach him to read and write or are they too busy being grossly overpaid baby sitters?

We've come so far in 'dumbing down' our schools that the teachers are too dumb to have their jobs.

I feel sorry for this boy - I hope his parents don't allow him to become a victim, but teach him how to succeed even though he was victimized - a lesson Ron obviously learned!

Ron Simpson said...

School kids are cruel enough, we don't need cruel teachers. I agree with the Gazer, schools are too dumbed down. I want to send my kids to private school and I will as soon as Brandy is out of nursing school. My niece and nephew go to a catholic school and they are very well taught there. but since i am not catholic, i would have to pay more.