Yeah! What she says!

Yeah! What she says!

Friday, January 12, 2007

Why Do People Hate Politics? Short answer could possibly be Barbara Boxer.

I read an article at CBS News today that infuriated me. The article itself wasn’t the problem. It was what occurred that prompted the article that rubbed me the wrong way.

You can find the article here.

This article was a classic example of what is wrong in American politics today. It seems that some politicians cannot form a valid argument relevant to their stance on an issue. They are only capable of personally attacking those that they oppose. Barbara Boxer, D-California, seems to be one such politician.

A quote from the article regarding her view of our country's current status in Iraq:
"I'm not going to pay a personal price," she said. "My kids are too old and my grandchild is too young. You're not going to pay a particular price, as I understand it, with an immediate family."

Boxer talked about families losing loved ones and soldiers in hospital burn units. "These are the people who pay the price."

Rice said evenly that she understands the sacrifice of service members and families.

"I visit them. I know what they're going through. I talk to their families. I see it.
I could never and I can never do anything to replace any of those lost men and women in uniform, or the diplomats, some of whom..."
Boxer cut her off.

"Madam Secretary, please," she said. "I know you feel terrible about it. That's not the point. I was making the case as to who pays the price for your decisions."

Senator Boxer knows that Secretary Rice cares very much for the men and women who are fighting on behalf of this great nation in order to extend the freedoms many of us take for granted, to those who lack them, and desperately want them. She admits that Secretary Rice. She states that she was simply making a point of who is paying the price for other’s decisions, in this case Secretary Rice’s.

I don’t see a point being made with her above statements. The comments Senator Boxer made were completely inflammatory. Especially since every American knows which men and women and their families are making the biggest sacrifices. Her statements reminded of when my father used to be angry with me. He wasn’t ignorant or naïve, he knew this, he knew I knew it, but he was angry, and just to make me feel worse he would look at me and would ask, “Do you think I was born yesterday?” or "Do you think I am stupid?" This question didn’t need an answer, and if you knew better you wouldn’t offer one. Anyone who took one look at my father would have known the answer to either question. It was only said to make the one being asked (usually me), feel stupid for whatever it was they tried to sneak past him. Senator Boxer was only trying to make someone else feel stupid for not feeling the same way about an issue as she did.

It doesn’t stop there. Barbara Boxer is wrong on so many levels. The first being the one I have already mentioned. She attacked another professional, who remained professional despite the attack, to make her supposed point. I say supposed point, because her logic is completely flawed.
First of all, no American can limit which Americans get a chance to voice their opinion. An attempt to do so is against everything our forefathers fought for. That is what makes us American, in our country that was founded on freedom. Senator Boxer cannot take that away from any one citizen or decide which citizens get to practice this freedom. I wouldn't take her right to an opinion away either, but publicly berating another person's views is not necessarily something you are given the right to do in order to express your views.

This brings me to another point. Some of us, I would love to think that most of us (but won't as I don't have actual numbers), do not have to give birth to the person to care about what happens to that person. Some of us are capable of love with out child bearing. Some of us are also capable of grief, worry, and a sense of loss for those who are not blood related to us. Some of us are very aware of the lives at stake. Among that some, are those who still believe that what we are doing for Iraq, and the rest of world is a good and worthy thing because we are able to see the big picture, and know that those of us who are able to, should help the world when ever possible. Many of that number of able Americans are also willing and have proudly enlisted in the military forces of this nation. All of those men and women who did enlist knew the risks they took, and they did in with love in their hearts for the rest of us who are not physically able to do this hard task for ourselves.

With all of that said I have some questions to ask Barbara Boxer. She said to Secretary Rice:

“I was making the case as to who pays the price for your decisions."

Senator Boxer, who pays the price for your indecision? Who pays the price when actions that weren't taken now come back to haunt us?

The innocent people all over the world will. Innocent women and children, as well as the elderly. If we can’t fight this war effectively, and support the emerging government in Iraq then some other totalitarian, ruthless, person will step in and do it for us. There will be another terrorists groups in its place, or another Saddam Hussein, or both. Then it will only be a matter of time before the United States is attacked again. I am of the belief that it will occur sooner rather than later. If this happens due to your indecision, Senator Boxer, then the deaths of all of those who die due to your indecision are on your head. Just as Clinton's inability to have Bin Laden killed when the opportunity presented itself has led to the deaths of many American citizens and that is now on his conscience (This of course only occurs when the person has one, but I can't speak to that.) This is not something that I could easily live with myself.

This is not to say that I think it is better for our men and women to die. I do not want them to die. It is evil however, for Senator Boxer to line this country up for future attacks by her lack of decision and action now. It is even more wrong for her to minimalize the lives of those that we have the power to protect in other countries. I am a firm believer that if I let other’s die when I could help save their lives I would be the worst type of person. Senator Boxer wants our fighting men and women home when they can save the lives of others and protect us in the future through what they are doing now. In a way, I also feel as if Senator Boxer is saying “American’s should not be giving their lives to save other’s in other countries because they aren’t worth saving.”

Senator Boxer is just one of many examples of why so many people hate politics today's. She shows that her idea of leading a country involves belittling those who do not agree with her views. She shows that she feels that she is better than everyone else, and that Americans in general are better than everyone else. Are we? Is this the face we want to show the rest of the world? If she truly valued American life and the lives of the rest of the human race then she would take a step back and look at the big picture.

That was a really long post and I didn’t even get started on how I feel about the “cut and run” plan for Iraq. I will save that for another day.

No comments: